Saturday, September 3, 2011

The So-So Car

This is a short story of my SO-SO car.


My R19 1.8i (m). Born in 1994, Registered in Jan 1995.
17 years already.. well, quite old la.

SOME HISTORY
Well, to start with, it is quite an old car by today (17 years already). It was the 1st CKD (locally assembled) Renault in Malaysia (by Federal Auto), the 2nd phase model and it is a failure. It was born on 1994 but was registered in January 1995. I bought it from the original owner in 2000, a doctor (Dr.Adib) from Seremban.

Well, some points to ponder :

  • It was my 1st Renault (previously drove an Iswara, Pug 405, Kancil 850 & Citroen ZX)
  • It has breakdown record of >15 times... lost count already. a record breaking... 
  • it is the least reliable car I had
  • Mileage now is 375,000km+, still the original engine
  • I call a SO-SO car, because nothing technically great about it actually.
  • The plastics like biscuit, crack and fell off after 6-8 years in Malaysian heat

brittle & cracked plastics are popular with Renault
during that era. This is my long term solution for this issue.

WHY I STILL LOVE IT?
Well, quite strange because despite all its "nuisance" and record breaking on least reliable car, many people puzzled why I still kept this car despite having other cars. Hmm.. I also dunno how to tell, but some points maybe worth mentioning are :

  • the ONLY CAR I had during our hard times during 2004-2006
  • when climbing back from business drop, the only car I had for my business, ferrying my families, staffs, goods. many bitter sweet memories with this car. 
  • I travelled all over Malaysia in this car (as it is the only unit I had) 

As I myself see it, the "sentimental value' and the experience with it that maybe why I keep it. I am not sure for how long, but I think as long as it can start everytime I twist the key and ferrying me to my office (which only about <10km), it is ok for me.

changed the cracked dashboard to a used
Honda Civic EG9 dashboard 2-3 years ago

THE "RECORD BREAKING" THAT I STILL REMEMBER
2000/2001
Breakdown (just die off) at 330am near Sg Petani on the highway. I am on the way to Jitra, to pay last respect to my brother in law demise. When the PLUS came, they also dont dare to touch. So, wait until 7am and called the Renault Assistance from Prai. Towed the car to Sg Petani toll plaza, and they manage to solve after 3 hours. Turns out some relay "kaput" due to some wiring issue (maybe rat eat it, so shot circuit)

2003
Alternator kaput in Melaka while my parents use it. I have to drive from KL with my friend (Din, a Renault foreman) with my Laguna. It took us nearly 7 hours to solve (change the alternator).

2007
It breakdowns for 3 CONSECUTIVE DAYS, 1st & 2nd & 3rd Ramadhan. Problem is the radiator hose... It was towed for 3 consecutive days (luckily I was AAM members from 1997 till now), so towing is free la. My wife was driving it with my kids. Alhamdulillah I was around KL and had to ferry them with our MX5.

Frankly, they are many more breakdowns during the tenure with the car, but lost count la.

maintain the original meter clusters. The mileage is
how many? 370,000KM++?

THE CAR NOW
Well it has been thru 2 paintjobs, changed the dashboard, changed all the suspension parts & bushings. Well, with any old cars, breaking down is an anticipated issue.

But the main points are, it reminds me to BE HUMBLE and APPRECIATE life. It helps to REMINDS me the challenging days before and MOTIVATE me not to always live "in the COMFORT ZONE" . Sometimes, when I need some self-motivation, I will drive this car and relive the experience how we build up again our business using this old chap as our main transportation.

Even in the eye of other people this car is no value, there are something special about it. And Alhamdulillah, I thanks Allah for giving me such a colourful experience that helps me in to be a great person; hopefully in the world and hereafter. InsyaAllah.




1 comment:

  1. I also had a Phase II sedan, bought in 1993, constantly failing in the first 1-2 years (like a banana... it matured in the hands of the owner). The battery would randomly be flat, within few hours, for no apparent reason. Some cheap part was shorting out, but the SC searched for a very long time until they found out. The paint was too thin, so the car was repainted on warranty.

    Later in its life it was relatively reliable, apart from wear and tear. Sold it in 2004 because I didn't really need a car and there was something that needed to be repaired. However I still have many fond memories of the car (traveled all over Europe with it, including sleeping in the boot as a child while driving from Germany to Spain). It's really not a bad car, fun to drive on bad roads, and quite comfortable.

    At least in my memories it is.

    ReplyDelete